Retrospective views on our planet's future
PAGES 1st Young Scientist Meeting (YSM) was held from 6-7 July 2009 at Oregon State University in Corvallis, USA. PAGES 3rd Open Science Meeting was held directly after, from 8-11 July.
The YSM proceedings were published online on 12 April 2010 in the open-access IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science, Volume 9.
Papers cover the PAGES Science Foci/Themes:
- Reconstruction and Understanding Climate Forcings and Feedbacks (PAGES Focus 1)
- Regional and Global-scale Earth System Dynamics (PAGES Foci 2 and 3)
- Past Human-Climate-Ecosystem Interactions (PAGES Focus4)
- Improving and Understanding Paleoscientific Methods (PAGES Cross-Cutting Themes 1-3)
The aim of the YSM is to support the development of young paleoscientists by providing the opportunity to advance their scientific skills and to build international networks among colleagues at a similar career level, as well as with leading senior scientists and program representatives.
The YSM is open on a competitive basis to approx. 70 outstanding early-career researchers who meet the following criteria:
- Age: Usually under 35
- Career status: PhD students: Usually in the latter stages of their degree & Post-PhD: Usually within 5 years of completing their degree
- Scientific scope: Paleoscientists (data-based or modelers) or global change scientists with a strong, proven interest in paleoscience
See the list of talks here.
Three young scientists were awarded poster presentation prizes:
- Patrick Applegate (Session - PAGES CCT 1)
- Caroline Cleroux (Session - PAGES CCT 2)
- Pamela Collins (Session - PAGES Focus 4)
Three young scientists were awarded oral presentation prizes:
- Catalina González (Session A - PAGES Focus 1)
- Martin Tingley (Session B - PAGES Focus 2)
- Yanjun Cai (Session F - PAGES Focus 3)
- Mariano Morales (Session G - PAGES Focus 4
See the list of photos from the 1st YSM here.